Hi,
I just tried to upgrade gcc (stable amd64, from 4.4.3-r2
to 4.4.4-r2) following the procedure recommended in Gentoo
GCC Upgrade Guide:

emerge -uav gcc

At the end of compilation, I got these strange messages:

 * gcc-config: Could not locate 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3'
 in '/etc/env.d/gcc/'
!
 * Running 'fix_libtool_files.sh 4.4.3'
 * Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library paths...
cat: ld.so.conf.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
 * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
gcc-config: error: could not run/locate 'gcc'
:0: assertion failed: (gcc -dumpversion) | getline NEWVER)
>>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
 * Switching native-compiler to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 ...
 * gcc-config: Active gcc profile is invalid!
 * Your gcc has a bug with GCC_SPECS.
 * Please re-emerge gcc.
 * http://bugs.gentoo.org/68395

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache... [ ok ]

 * If you intend to use the gcc from the new profile in an already
 * running shell, please remember to do:

 *   # source /etc/profile

 * If you have issues with packages unable to locate libstdc++.la,
 * then try running 'fix_libtool_files.sh' on the old gcc versions.
 * You might want to review the GCC upgrade guide when moving between
 * major versions (like 4.2 to 4.3):
 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Recording sys-devel/gcc in "world" favorites file...
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

 * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 7 info files.