On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just upgraded from gcc-4.4.3-r2 to gcc-4.4.4-r2 and I'm wondering if
> I really need to rebuild everything as it says in the guide:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
>
> If not, when is it necessary?

As that guide says:

"Generally speaking, upgrades to bug fix releases, like from 3.3.5 to
3.3.6, should be quite safe -- just emerge new version, switch your
system to use it and rebuild the only affected package, libtool."

The "General Upgrade Instructions" are more for major version changes.
I don't think 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 is considered an upgrade in this sense,
just a minor update.

I think even on larger upgrade, like 4.3 to 4.4, it's only necessary
to rebuild everything if libstdc++.so's major version number has
changed. @preserved-rebuild will hopefully give some assistance in
that case anyway (if you're using a version of portage that has it).