Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 16:11 on Friday 22 October 2010, Allan
> Gottlieb did opine thusly:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Perhaps I should be downgrading xorg-server as well.
>
> Masking mesa-7.8.2 means (per the ebuilds) you will have to drop back to
> xorg-server-1.7.7-r1. Both are latest stable versions.

See below

>> Since I would rather have a slow X than an angry portage,
>> I removed the package mask and expected all to be well, but was
>> surprised by the following.  In particular at the end it says there is
>> one block but I don't see any.
>
> [snip]
>
> Here you go:
>

>> [blocks b     ]     <sys-apps/shadow-4.1.4.2-r6
>> ("<sys-apps/shadow-4.1.4.2-r6" is blocking sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.2-r3)
>> [ebuild     U ]      sys-apps/shadow-4.1.4.2-r6 [4.1.4.2-r5] USE="cracklib
>> nls pam -audit (-selinux) -skey" 1,749 kB

I really did look for b's, but didn't see it.  I guess I was looking
near the ] where all the U's are.  Embarrassing, to say the least.
Thanks.

Now I have masked mesa-7.8.2 downgrading to 7.7.1, which necessitated a
downgrade of xorg-server to 1.7.7-r1 (latest stable), which necessitated
a downgrade of xinit to 1.2.1.

Thus my emerges now generate msgs that updates to xorg-server and xinit
are being skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies.
Other than this, the emerges perform normally and the system runs well.

I could mask the newer versions of xorg-server and xinit and possibly
prevent the emerge messages, but I am leaning toward leaving it as it is.
This way when mesa is updated (to a hopefully fixed version) everything
should update automatically.

Does that sound reasonable.

thanks again,
allan