Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> [10-10-31 02:26]:

> On 30 Oct 10, at 6:25pm, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > I am looking for a tool to simply put the contents of xmltv-files into
> > a MySQL database.
> > I googled a lot this day and found some tools but some does not use
> > MySQL (for example one uses Postgresql) other have started a project
> > but do not release any code. And lot tools are part of very very big
> > packages and cannot be cut out of them in a simple way.
> >
> > I only want a xmltv-reader which feeds the data into MySQL. Everything
> > else is done elsewhere...
>
> I think the best answer to this is "MythTV".
>
> A week ago you asked about waking your computer up at certain times to record
> TV.
>
> Earlier today you were asking for something to schedule recordings. I would
> have replied then and suggested MythTV or atd, but you'd already had a reply
> you were happy with by the time I saw it.
>
> Now you're trying to fix another problem which has already been solved by
> MythTV.
>
> What are you going to do when you find that shows are running late and the
> bash script you've bodged together cuts off the last 5 minutes of Inspector
> Morse? You will never know whodunnit!! MythTV automatically pads the program
> by a few minutes, except when this would clash with another program.
>
> MythTV has thousands of lines of code already written to solve the problems
> associated with recording and watching TV on a computer. All the stuff you've
> asked for already, MythTV started addressing years ago.
>
> Will your script be able to record two shows at once, using a single tuner?
> MythTV can.
>
> I understand where you're coming from, wanting to do this yourself, but I
> think you're going to be continually wanting to add features to your solution.
>
> Having said that, I think you could probably use Perl. I think there is an
> xmltv module in CPAN, and you'll find about a zillion articles on the web
> about using Perl to shove stuff into databases.
> http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/xmltv/
> Is there any reason your database has to be MySQL, rather than, say, SQLite?
>
> Stroller.

Hi Stroller,

thank you for your help and answer.

May be your right: Why doing anything myself ?!

I want to use MySQL since it is already installed and used and dont
want to have n different databases programs for n different
applications which basically do all the same: gathering data...

Best regards and thank you again!
mcc