pk <pete...@coolmail.se> [10-11-02 00:24]:
> On 2010-10-31 13:30, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>
> > ...cat has no timing parameter (see mail)...
>
> Yes, but I put it in a sub shell (cat ... &) and then kill it (using a
> very rough script that loops date). Basically what I do is:
>
> 1. set channel for a certain video adapter (I have two).
> 2. Use a script that loops date (with a 5 second interval) and when it
> hits the threshold starts a sub shell with 'cat /dev/video0 >
> filmname.mpg' and saves the PID in a filename with the same name but
> with a .pid ending instead.
> 3. Use a script that loops date and when it hits the threshold reads the
> PID of the cat process from the .pid file and kills it.
>
> Perhaps not the ideal way to solve a problem but it works for me without
> having to mess with something that can sing & dance while (hopefully)
> doing whatever I want it to do... and needing the kitchen sink for a
> minimal install.
>
> MfG
>
> Peter K

Hi Peter,

yes, the "killing thing" was my first idea also. But since it is
not that gentleman like, I asked here for another solution.
In the meanwhile I found this:

    tzap -r -H -t <duration in seconds> -o - <channelname from
~/.tzap/channels.conf > "filename"

records the stream into "filename". The redirection is necassary,
since tzap gets problems when trying to write more than 2Gigs of
streamed data.

I start this via fcron.

MfG
mcc