On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:31:08AM +0000, James wrote

> Thanks for all the good view pionts on hardware.

  Do *NOT* get a machine with a Poulsbo video chip.  It "supported" one
version of the linux kernel at release time, with a proprietary blob.
No updates since.  And as we all know, kernel upgrades and Xorg upgrades
kill compatability with binary blob video drivers every so often.

  What was sold as a 1366x768 Windows machine with decent video speed is
now a 1024x768 VESA-driven display that sucks at Youtube video playback.
It works for general browsing+email, but I could use some extra screen
pixels.  Poulsbo is a 3rd-party that Intel subcontracted for the video
chip.  Intel doesn't own, and cannot release the Poulsbo api.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>