Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 18:49 on Thursday 11 November 2010, Dale did
opine thusly:

Dale wrote:
I did a test just then and my video was slow again.  This is what I
get now.

r...@smoker / # glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
677 frames in 5.6 seconds = 120.183 FPS
1 frames in 7.6 seconds =  0.132 FPS
1 frames in 7.6 seconds =  0.132 FPS
1 frames in 8.2 seconds =  0.122 FPS
1 frames in 7.6 seconds =  0.131 FPS
1 frames in 7.6 seconds =  0.132 FPS
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
":0.0"

       after 46 requests (46 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

r...@smoker / #

So, looks like emerge -e world didn't help after all.  So what should
I check now?  Do I need to get my hammer out?

Dale

:-)  :-)
False alarm.  I looked at top and noticed that that stupid hp-systray
was using about 90% of my CPU.  I killed that thing and now it plays
fine again.

I do wish they would fix that thing.  For some reason hp-systray does
that from time to time.  It is usually after dbus has a hiccup.  Logging
out of KDE and back in again usually fixes it tho.

Anyway, back to normal.  Well, normal for me anyway.  ;-)
Whatever hp-systray is, I'd dump it.

When a single app or feature kills the entire machine and it's ability to draw
on the screen, it's time to find a way to do without the app.

Well, it makes my printer print. That's what I *think* anyway. I may not need it anymore. I need to check on that. It has been doing that once in a blue moon for a long time. Usually, it is after I upgrade dbus and the config file changes and I haven't restarted both dbus and KDE. There seems to be some sort of clash between the two, or three, and the race is on and my CPU is the gas pedal. I didn't pay much attention this very last time but once before it was dbus, hp-systray and something KDE that was fighting. Bad thing is, it started last night and raced all night long and I didn't notice it. My eyes were closed. I'm trying to run folding since it is cool now and it wasted all my folding time on worthless crap. :-@

I just wish it would suicide itself instead of making my CPU go nuts. Glad I have a HUGE CPU heat sink too.

Dale

:-)  :-)