>> Great advice from everyone, thank you.  By hiring coders, the
>> intention is to save myself time and effort but it sounds like I would
>> only be replacing one problem with another.
>
> I hope I wasn't too discouraging, but you're definitely replacing one
> problem with another.

I don't need encouragement, I need advice. :)

> The questions are:
>
>  1) The relative sizes of the problems?

No problems really.  It's just kind of a never-ending project that
could go in many directions.  The more coders working on the project
the more directions can be explored.

>  2) How much your time is worth?

Even if I spend 80 hours a week coding, the rate at which I code will
be the project's limiting factor.  I'd love to fix the bottleneck and
make the limiting factor the number of coders I can hire.

>  3) Do you prefer spec-writing and project management or writing code?

If the choice is between 1 hour coding and 1 hour writing and managing
in order to accomplish 1 hour of coding, I'll code.

> For me, I'd probably rather take a week off my without pay from my day
> jobs and write the code myself rather than pay somebody else $2000 to
> do it.  [And that's assuming I could find somebody competent to work
> for $50/hour.]
>
>> I'm really not sure how to proceed but you guys have saved me from
>> hurling myself into something I didn't understand.
>
> I don't know what language you're using, but my only other
> recommendation might be to consider using a high level language like
> Python instead of C.  Developing a large application in Python instead
> of C can save huge amounts of time.  My guess would be that on average
> Python development takes about 25% of the time that C would take.

That's great advice but the language is already very high level.  I
guess I'm trying to take it one level higher at which point it becomes
English. :)

- Grant