On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> This samba problem (windows machines cannot connect to gentoo server)
> seems to have followed a recent update including samba.
>
> qlop shows: Mon Nov  1 05:10:33 2010 >>> net-fs/samba-3.5.6
>
> Usually I've found I might need to redo passwords with smbpasswd.
>
> This time, that is not sufficient.

Did you miss this?

LOG: postinst
The default passdb backend has been changed to 'tdbsam' in samba 3.4!
That breaks existing setups using the 'smbpasswd' backend without
explicit declaration!
Please use 'passdb backend = smbpasswd' if you would like to stick to the
'smbpasswd' backend or convert your smbpasswd entries using e.g.
'pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam'.
For further information make sure to read the release notes at
http://samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.9.html and
http://samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.0.html