Apparently, though unproven, at 12:06 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Helmut
Jarausch did opine thusly:

> On 11/16/10 10:56:29, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Backup your portage related data and re-install.
> >
> > Seriously - you know you are looking at doing emerge -e world and
> > will
> > need to
> > fiddle stuff to make it complete successfully.
> >
> > If you just reinstall, put your old world file and /etc/portage/ back
> > then let
> > portage have at it, that is exactly what will happen. You'll have
> > 30-45
> > minutes of setup work and a high level of confidence it will complete
> > successfully.
> >
> > Trying to fix the existing installation is potentially many hours of
> > poking
> > around to see what changed, potentially several goes at running
> > emerge
> > -e
> > world, hair pulling, and you will probably give up and just reinstall
> > anyway.
> >
> > I'm assuming you are looking for the easiest, fastest route to
> > success
> > with
> > the least pain, and that your days of poking into portage to see how
> > things
> > work for fun are long over.
>
> Thanks Alan,
>
> just one more question: where are information like the
> current eselect(ions) stored?

I've never found a place where eselect stores it's info. I suspect it directly
reads all the various symlinks off disk when it starts up. If so, this will
cause you some extra manual work.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com