On 11/22/2010 01:02 PM, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to set up a AMD AthlonXP on Compact
> Flash, just like I do my old pentium & i586 systems.
> I'd really like to be able to move 4G Cf cards
> (set up generically) between old pentium,
> k6, i586, p4 and AthlonXP systems. (that's the goal
> not performance, optimized for small binaries).
>
> OK, so I'm using ext2 on a 4 G CF.
>
> I want a universal /etc/make.conf file
> that will work on old hardware all the way
> up to a p4 (32bit) system, and on AMD
> (AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+)
>
> So take and look and tell me what I should
> change and why. OK?
>

> MARCH =???
>
> CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
> CFLAGS="-Os -march=??? -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
> PORTAGE_NICENESS="1"
>
> MAKEOPTS="-j2"
> USE="-* -nls mmx  ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre \
> python readline zlib bzip2 nptl nptlonly syslog"
>
> Any suggestions on flags are most welcome!
> Ideas are most welcome!
>

> James

If this is one drive to run on all of them, -march=pentium -mmmx (if all
of your CPUs have mmx) will probably work.  If the oldest stuff you've
got is p4, athlon-xp era, you might be able to get a bit newer... but
you'd need to compare the literal flags turned on by something like
-march=pentium3 and -march=athlon-xp (you can't use pentium4 because it
includes SSE2 which Athlon XP doesn't necessarily support).

You can check what flags gcc picks with:

echo | gcc -dM -E - -march=$MARCH

It's not super straightforward to look at, but it's the only way my
googling has found to actually show all of the flags turned on by an
-march or -mtune option.

-Andy