On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 19 November 2010, Allan
> Gottlieb did opine thusly:
>
> > >    It seems, however, that you're still going down the path of emerge
> > >
> > > -e @world. Why is that? If it's just to be confident that everything
> > > is back to the way it should be then I understand that. I've done it
> > > myself many times in the last 12 years.
> >
> > Yes that is the reason.
>

> Sounds like the big guns approach, can be valid at times.
>
> I'm usually the first one to chip in about emerge -e world being stupid
> when
> someone reads the gcc upgrade guide, but sometimes you have a box that just
> will not fix itself despite hours of troubleshooting. In a case like this a
> full remerge often fixes mysterious but actual real problems.

I've had pretty much the same thing happen.  In my case, 'eix' showed that I
had 0.9.8p and 1.0.0 installed
in two different slots.   However the 3 files that belong to 0.9.8 were
missing.  Fortunately, I run with --buildpkg
so I had a binary package lying around.  Emerging it with -gK restored the
files, and everything was okay.

OTOH, a couple of years ago I did an emerge -e and regretted it.  It kept
stopping because something wasn't
configured right, and I had to go through dispatch-conf on everything up to
that point before I could get it to
proceed.  Good luck with your "few days".  Mine was more like 2 weeks of
stop-and-go.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD