A couple of weeks I posted that I was having slow login/login timeouts
on trying to log into X after moving to another network until the
network is reconfigured.  The recommendation was to add the hostname to
hosts.conf but this seems to work in only some cases.

To recap, it is a laptop that gets moved across a lot of different
networks (wired/wireless plus some with vpns).  On hibernating, then
connecting  to another network the problem manifests itself.  If I log
into a console and reconfigure the network, the I can log into X
normally. The laptop runs bind in caching mode.

I did find that the nssswitch.conf file was blank, so I pulled one from
another system but no change occurred.

Something changed in the last few months as it used to work fine!  So
where do I look next?

BillK