On 12/03/2010 04:41 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
Re the discussion on cgroups on the 24/25 november - on my old AMD
barton 2500+ desktop - in the past a load of anything more than 5 made
it very painful to use.  Add in running windows in a qemu vm at the same
time (all in 1.5G ram) and its almost unusable as an interactive
desktop.

Now, with Florians (thanks for the scripts) version of using it on
gentoo, even at a load in excess of 12, its almost as good as with no
load for desktop operations!

To get the high load I am compiling a new kernel, running win2k in qemu,
emerging latest updates, browsing the web and reading email in
evolution, running updatedb and other cron jobs (just restarted after a
tuxonice hibernate so everything is triggering at once!).

I would expect some disk swapping activity when running all those apps in
1.5GB of RAM.  Are you seeing any?