Hi, Harry.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I think I found the reason for a long standing problem I've had with
> the machine locking up.
>
> I see no evidence of a cdrom link or device name in /dev.
>
> dmesg seems to show that it is recognized on boot, but I'm not smart
> enough to know what the lines from dmesg really mean:

HW problem would probably be most likely, I guess. Maybe a loose cable
if you're lucky. :)

You can also check the file:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

To ensure it's got your device name right, or delete it and it'll
auto-create it at next boot based on detected hardware.

You can also use "hdparm -z /dev/hdc" to have the kernel re-read the
drive (without need for reboot), which should create the udev nodes if
it succeeds. I have a USB drive that always fails on first plug-in,
but if I use hdparm like that it'll work the second try every time...

Good luck!