Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sunday 12 December 2010 20:34:22 Dale wrote:
Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sunday 12 December 2010 05:20:27 Dale wrote:
That comes from lm-sensors.  Hmmm.  Since I have my stuff built into
the
kernel, can I still use that or would they clash somehow?

Also, this is a desktop not a laptop just in case it matters.

Dale

:-)  :-)
a) building the sensor stuff into the kernel is stupid
b) yes
Why is it stupid?  I been using Linux for years and have no modules
except for nvidia and don't think I ever have either.  What difference
does it make if it is a module or built in?

Dale

:-)  :-)
because sometimes the only thing to get a device back in working order is to
remove the driver and reload it. Easy with modules. Not with built in drivers.
Sometimes you have to try/use different options. Easy with modules, but a
reboot with built in drivers.

Rule of thumb: everything you need to boot built in, everything else modules.
Results in the least problems.

Well, having them built in has worked all these years. If I have a driver problem, I get a new kernel. Solves that problem.

Dale

:-)  :-)