Dale wrote:
meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

Next shot in the dark:
Some monitors can be asked to offer their physical data like
resolution and such. It is called EDID or something like that.

May be the BIOS (or the graka) tries to ask the monitor about its EDID
data and the return is "The sound of Silence" ... or something more
weird and misunderstandable...

And the graka hangs and therefore the BIOS waits forever for the graka
and Dale waits forever for monitor... ;)

When booted with a "talking and correctly speaking EDID" monitor the
garak is setup correctly and everything is fine.

If you are using a nvidia-card use the nvidia-settings tool when
haveing switched the monitors the "bad way" ;) and in the nvidia
settings tool you will find the possibility to "Acquire EDID" (a
button). Do this with the new monitor to check whether it talks EDID
correctly.

Two things I would try to fix the problem:
Boot into the BIOS and check, whether "First VGA" (this is how it is
called in my BIOS) is set to the correct bus type/card. In my case it
has to be set to PCIe.
Any may be you will also find a setting to instruct the card to
acquire EDID data from the monitor. Toggle this.

HTH!
Best regards,
mcc

I will try that next. Right now, I unplugged the power from the EV910. It has been unplugged for a while now. I'm hoping it will reset something in the monitor itself.

I'm pretty sure this monitor has EDID but I'm not certain. I looked and the EV910 is actually a little newer than the EV700. The EV910 was made in 2001 and the EV700 was made in 2000. Pretty old huh?

I really don't want to use this old 17" monitor but I also don't want to have to buy a new one either. :/

Now to reboot and see if it works. If not, I'll check the BIOS setting next. I checked that earlier and I think it is set has you wrote tho. I'll make sure tho.

Thanks.  Will write in a bit whether it changes anything.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Neither of those worked.  It did nothing on the EV910.

Any more ideas?

Dale

:-)  :-)