On Wednesday 15 December 2010 15:41:25 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> [10-12-15 15:40]:
> > On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:13:31 +0100, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > > And this happens to any mountpoint I mount that device on regardless
> > > of its perm settings before the mount
> >
> > With nothing mounted on it, the mount point's permission are those of the
> > directory. As soon as you mount something on it, the mount point has the
> > ownership and permissions of the root of the filesystem that you just
> > mounted there. In  the same way that the contents of the filesystem
> > appear at the mount point, so does the metadata, so change the
> > permissions after mounting.
>
> ...unfortunately (as root)
>
>     cd /tmp
>     chmod 1777 .
>
> does not help...

I don't think you can change the permissions like that.
Try:
cd /
chmod 1777 /tmp

To remove the "s"-bits, try the following:
cd /
chmod u-s /tmp
chmod g-s /tmp

This, however, needs to be done while the "/tmp" filesystem is mounted.
Otherwise you are only changing the mount-point (directory) not the actual
filesystem.

--
Joost