On 12/20/2010 06:39 AM, walt wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 09:25 PM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at all,
> > I have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have been
> sent
> > where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it...
>
> I use gnome, but have no camera so I can't give specific advise.  But in
> general I try to get behind the gui by starting an app (like gphoto2)
> from
> a command prompt to see what error messages it may print.
>
> Some gui apps may have an optional flag like -v or --debug that will
> print
> more messages.  (Or start it as "strace gphoto2" for even more fun.)
>
> I've never actually found a use for the various gvfs commandline apps,
> like
> gvfs-info et al, but you might be able to use them for debugging this
> puzzle.
> Worth fiddling with them, anyway.
>
> I've noticed several times that the gentoo-stable gnome is running
> mismatched
> versions of gnome apps, and if I just wait long enough the right
> version of
> something-or-other will be installed and something broken will start
> working
> again.  The ~ version of gnome actually has fewer problems that way
> than the
> stable version.

Running strace on gphoto2 doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as gphoto2
always works just fine.  A trace on gthumb also doesn't make sense in my
mind, since it seems to correctly be telling me that gvfs doesn't see
anything more than it does, though I don't know enough to say for sure
that there's no separation.

If there was a way I could run a trace on gvfs itself, that might be
more profitable, but that sounds big and scary, and like something I'd
need help with.

I've looked around at the gvfs-*, and most of them seem to want me to
know what I want them to look at, and are mostly interested in telling
me about literal paths.  I haven't found a way to get any of them to say
"Hey, I see your camera, and it doesn't work because X."

Your last paragraph rings truer to me.  I just wish I had something
concrete to go on. ;)

Thanks,

-Andy