On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2bgen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> I ran cpufreq-info on my i7 920, and everything looked normal for mine
> compared to yours. And I have tens of thousands of transitions on each
> CPU (currently at 8 days uptime)
>
> Can you use cpufreq-set to change the max limit or lock it to a higher
> speed? If it works, that's a good sign... if it gets changed back
> maybe some userspace powersaving program is messing with it. Like
> gnome/KDE or something. If you boot to console and don't start X, does
> this problem still happen? I wonder if it happens in X maybe the few
> times at greater speeds happened before X loaded. Just a WAG. :)
>
> For example, on my laptop (not an i7, but an old Athlon from 2004),
> the KDE laptop powersaving stuff does not work properly, it either
> locks me at slowest speed, or highest speed, or... but I think in my
> case it's related to the corrupt DSDT, crappy BIOS and complete
> inability for it to read the battery state most of the time... It
> doesn't know if it's plugged in or on battery, or how much battery
> life is left, or it thinks 84% remains and that number never changes
> (until laptop suddenly dies without warning). Of course all of that
> works perfectly fine in Windows on the same machine...
>
> In my kernel config on my i7, in the cpufreq sections I have this:
>
> #
> # CPU Frequency scaling
> #
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
>
> #
> # CPUFreq processor drivers
> #
> # CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ is not set
> CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
> # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
>

> I can send you my entire .config if you want to compare.

Yes, mine is quite similar:

# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

#
# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
# CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ is not set
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
# CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set

#
# shared options
#
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB is not set
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_LADDER=y
CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_MENU=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE=y

I do run KDE but it is independent of KDE. I don't run kdm by default, just
the console, and it is still the same. In fact, the KDE power stuff is not
even around. Could that mean it's just a USE flag issue? It doesn't seem it
because I have acpi and udev.

--
Bill Longman