Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Tuesday 04 January 2011 01:31:27 Dale wrote:

Anybody else ran into this?  Am I missing something that is different
on a 64 bit rig?
I discovered chrony some years ago, which has a sophisticated clock
slewing mechanism, and haven't used ntp since.

Chrony runs on my gateway machine to maintain a stable time source for
the boxes inside, which are a mixture of 32- and 64-bit. I just don't
think about timekeeping any more.

You might want to give it a try.

I'll give it some thought. I was the same way about ntp on my old rig. I set it up and it "just worked". It just doesn't work on this rig.

I let the unstable package run a good while and it never did create a drift file. I emerged the stable version and it created a drift file but it is still reseting almost 1 second every ten minutes. On the old rig, once it got the drift file set up with a good value, it only synced a few times a day and set maybe once a day and it was very little. On the new rig, its having to reset every few minutes and still can't get it right.

This is weird.

Dale

:-)  :-)