Hi all, thanks for all your help.  I'll try to reply to everything, but
first let me annouce the issue is now resolved and gentoo was not at fault.

The virtual HD is physically on a raid (unknown config).  Mark, the sector
size issue you mention, does it have to do with aligning real HD sectors
with filesystem sectors (so that stuff like read-ahead will get
no-more-no-less than what the kernel wants)?  I've read about this kind of
setup when I was interested in RAID long ago...  Now that I know my hd is
actually on a raid, maybe i could benefit some I/O performance improvements
by tuning this a bit!

Anyway, I was told by the support team that another user on the same
physical machine (remember it's a xen VPS) was doing I/O intensive stuff
which could have "I/O starved" my system.  I don't understand how starving
or even doing some kind of DoS attack could lead to a complete freeze on the
console, but eh...   They offered to migrate my system to another physical
machine, and after that...  I was able to perform a complete 'emerge -e
system' in one shot without a scratch, I even did it with --jobs=2 and
MAKEOPTS="-j4".  After that, I started a complete "emerge --keep-going
--jobs=2 world" with MAKEOPTS="-j8"...  (i got 4 cores:  dual xeon 2Ghz)

This last emerge is still going on as I write this and is emerging pkg 522
of 620 !!  And there were no build errors so far...

It's emerging glibc at the moment, so once the big emerge is finished, I'll
probably recompile all pkgs that depend on glibc.  I believe glibc was
actually updated during my very initial update on monday and I haven't come
to do that...  but I guess everything will go smoothly from here.

Thanks again for all your help guys!
  Simon