Apparently, though unproven, at 01:36 on Sunday 09 January 2011, walt did
opine thusly:

> About three years ago I spent a lot of time on the grub2 mailing list,
> building grub2 from their svn repo, even submitting a patch or two to
> get it working for the *BSD family.
>
> Then I got old and tired and I settled on gentoo.  I deleted all the
> other OS's from my machines, including (especially) Windows -- so I no
> longer need to multiboot five different OS's -- and so I lost interest
> in the sexy new features of grub2.
>
> Lately, though, I've been using multiple USB sticks, and having them
> plugged in at boot-time can confuse legacy grub into booting from the
> wrong disk, i.e. not booting at all.  Very annoying.
>
> So, I installed grub-1.98 and I've found that it *does* find partitions
> by UUID, and even by LABEL, amongst multiple disks.  Very nifty.
>
> Not so fast, though.  I don't know how to write a grub.conf file that
> can tell grub2 how to do that automatically so I don't need to type
> commands at the interactive grub2 command prompt.
>
> That's where you testosterone-pumped youngsters (Dale? Volker? Alan?
> Neil? Anyone?) can help fix this basically silly problem.

Might be worth learning how this new-fangled boot loader works.

Right now I'm having Hercules' own fight trying to get Android Donut[1] and
Froyo triple-booting on an Ubuntu 10.10 netbook. Ubuntu uses grub2 these days
and I think I want to keep that (makes updates easier that way - the Android
stuff is a manual update anyway).

Let's keep the thread open and add stuff as we find it.

[1] Yes, Android now runs on x86 :-) http://www.android-x86.org

[2] I'llet "testosterone-pumped" passed (I'm the BOFH at work) but I dunno
about "youngsters", this here fellow has grey in his beard. Actually he has a
grey beard with a few bits of brown in it :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com