On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 10:28 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Why is it not being mapped correctly?  Is the rule above not correct?
>> > I've tried to read tutorials about writing udev rules, but the example
>> > rules in the tutorials look nothing like the above rules, and I didn't
>> > write those.  I think they were created when udev was installed...
>>
>> I guess you don't really have 6 optical drives installed? :)
>>
>> Some of those have -ide- in the device name, did you change form IDE
>> to ATA kernel driver at some point (like most everyone else did)?
>> Maybe that's why. New entries are generated for drives that don't
>> match existing rules, which is probably why you see your SOHC-5236K
>> down at cdrom5 as well...
>>
>> If you delete the file and reboot, it'll create a new one based on
>> your currently-installed hardware config. Hopefully that'll solve it
>> or at least clean up that file to the point where you can manage the
>> changes more easily.
>>

> I deleted /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and rebooted the
> system.  The file is still gone, and still no /dev/cdrom:
> camille ~ # ls /etc/udev/rules.d/
> 10-zaptel.rules   70-bluetooth.rules   70-libsane.rules
> 90-hal.rules   hsf.rules
> 30-svgalib.rules  70-libgphoto2.rules  70-persistent-net.rules
> 99-btnx.rules
> camille ~ # ls /dev/cdrom*
> ls: cannot access /dev/cdrom*: No such file or directory
>

> What should I do now?

I saw from your other post that you're using an old kernel, maybe
you're using an old udev too. I'm using 164-r1 and
70-persistent-cd.rules is auto-generated by this rule:

/lib/udev/rules.d/75-cd-aliases-generator.rules

which really just runs /lib/udev/write_cd_rules script, you could also
try to run manually if that exists in your system.