C.Beamer wrote:

Hi Michael et al,

Michael Crute wrote:

Colleen,
Glad to see another Fedora user see the light! Here's the scoop... you
haven't botched anything you just need to configure your X server. In
theory it is very easy to configure your X server all you need to do
is run "Xorg --configure" as root then copy the xorg config file from
/root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and startx again.

I was hopeful here.  I did as outlined and after running Xorg
-configure, the file /root.xorg.conf.new was produced.  I got a message
stating how to test the xserver.  And I still couldn't start x.

It's complaining a bit less than it did before, but I'm still getting
these lines of error messages:

   (EE) GARTinit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file or directory)
   (EE)I810(0) AGPGART support is not available.  Make sure your
   kernel has
   agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded
   (EE)Screens found, but non have useable configuration
   Fatal server error:
   no screens found

If I need to reconfigure the kernel, fine.  However, I need to be told
specifically what to do.

Yes, I think this is what you need to do. From the documentation for the i810 X driver (man i810), it seems that agp or agpgart are required for your graphics architecture.

Normally you can check your current kernel configuration with 'zcat /proc/config.gz | grep AGP'. That should have "CONFIG_AGP=y" and "CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y".

If you have them, but they are '=m', then you should just need to "modprobe intel-agp" and try starting X again. Long term you can add intel-agp to /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6 to get it loaded automatically at system startup.

If they are not set, then you need to configure/build a new kernel. You'll find the AGP configuration options under "Device Drivers->Character Devices" in menuconfig or xconfig. If you haven't built a kernel before, or if you want some more guidance here, feel free to ask.

-Richard