On Thursday 13 January 2011 11:33:09 Jake Moe wrote:
> On 01/13/11 18:12, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 January 2011 07:12:48 Jake Moe wrote:
> >> If you're talking about "proper" Audio-CD as one that's audio-only, no
> >> mixed data in there as well, then yes, I'm sure.  And I have over 500
> >> CDs; I can't test them all.  :-P  But yeah, a selection of CDs have all
> >> had the same result.  And only on Linux; the same CDs have read fine
> >> from Windows.
> >
> > 500, that's a bit more then I have :)
>
> Heh, yeah, well I've been collecting them for around 20 years now.
> Since shortly after they were introduced.  I stopped counting at 500.
>
> >> The mp3 error screenshot was trying to copy the MP3 files from the CD
> >> through Konqueror's "audiocd:\" location to my hard drive.  I assume
> >> Konqueror tries to auto-convert the CD tracks to MP3s on the fly.  The
> >> log file I had attached should have been called "messages.bz2"; it's the
> >> kernel log file.
> >
> > Yes, I noticed similar behaviour last time I used MS Windows to play
> > audio- CDs. I believe MS Windows 98 (yes, that long ago) used to present
> > them as *.WAV-files,
>
> Don't know if you've ever used Konqueror, but if you go to the address
> "audiocd:/", it gives you a load of folders like MP3 and OGG and FLAC,
> along with a wav file for each track.  So you can either copy the files
> as WAV, or go into one of the folders and copy out MP3, OGG, etc.  It's
> just that Konqueror does the extraction/conversion for you.

As far as I know, that requires the multimedia kioslaves to work. I wonder if
it's possible to have that use a different CDDA-tool?

> Which, from memory, is different that Win98.  IIRC, Win98 used to
> present CDs as 1KB cda files.  I could be wrong, though...

Last time I used MS Windows at home for anything other then games was around
1998 and that's quite a while ago...

> >> Oh, and I only own a few CDs that have DRM on them.  And no, they
> >> weren't the ones that I've tested.
> >
> > Ok, it was the first thing that came to mind.
> >
> > How far does "cdparanoia" get? That's the tool I generally use and it has
> > always worked for me. Even with DRM'd CDs.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> How very odd.  As soon as I put the CD into the drive, I get the same
> raft of error messages in /var/log/messages.  But when I run 'cdparanoia
> "1"', it starts outputting to cdda.wav as normal.  Now why would
> cdparanoia work, even though the kernel doesn't seem to like the CD?
> Does this tell us anything that might help me play the CDs?
>
> Jake Moe

Can you actually play that wav-file? Or is it just a collection of garbage?

As far as I know, CD-Paranoia access the cd-drive a bit more directly then
other tools. Eg. it approaches it like a CD-ROM, rather then CD-Audio.

The error messages appear as soon as you put the CD into the drive?
Am wondering if some auto-mounting tool is trying to access it and is causing
problems here.
Do you also get those messages when you disable all KDE/Gnome/X/... and
related stuff?

Personally, I tend to use cdparanoia and other tools to generate OGG or MP3
files and store them on a fileserver and play them from there.

--
Joost