Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Sunday 16 January 2011 03:25:41 cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
Adam Carter<adamcart...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Did you remember to repoint the /usr/src/linux link? IIRC the
module is built to suit whatever kernel that is pointing to. If
its not set correctly you'll need to re-emerge nvidia-drivers.
linux is pointing correctly and it was after I emerged the
nvidia-drivers that I got the invalid argument.
You can't emerge nvidia-drivers if /usr/src/linux points to a kernel
version other than the currently running one - it complains it can't find
a valid kernel config. This means that, after emerging a new kernel
version, it's necessary to reboot with the new kernel (and fail to start
X) before it's possible to remerge nvidia-drivers to suit the new kernel
- you can't do it in advance.

On this ~amd64 multilib box, 260.19.29 has run trouble-free with gentoo-
sources 2.6.36-r5, 2.6.36-r6 and 2.6.37. Perhaps your -multilib USE flag
is causing trouble.

In the past when I do a kernel upgrade, I have linked to the new kernel, emerged nvidia drivers then rebooted to the new kernel. It worked fine for me. I haven't done that in a while since I just built a new rig but I have done that in the past many times.

Is this something new?

Dale

:-)  :-)