On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2011 16:05:11 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> > I have seen some seriously spurious results from glxgears over the
>> > years.  I recall reading somewhere that if your fps is less that 100,
>> > it may be caused by your screen refresh rate being out of keel with
>> > your card or something like that.  glxgears is good for one thing -
>> > showing you by means of a GUI that 3D graphics work on your set up.
>> >
>> >  http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glxgears_is_not_a_Benchmark
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Mick
>>
>> I COMPLETELY agree! However I know of no other graphics benchmarking
>> app that's likely to be on a list member's machine and is easy to run.
>>
>> I'd be really interested in a common Gentoo way of measuring graphics
>> performance but I don't know of one.
>
> I have used gtkperf when I was benchmarking different settings on a box:
>
> $ eix -l gtkperf
> * app-benchmarks/gtkperf
>     Available versions:
>                (~)     0.40 "~amd64 ~ppc ~x86" [nls]
>     Homepage:            http://gtkperf.sourceforge.net/
>
> Alternatively, most people who are interested in gaming use demos from the
> games they play.
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hey Mick,
   I updated the the git version of the xf86-video-ati driver this
morning, but am still using all the stable versions of everything
else. I tried gtkperf. Not satifying at all in terms of demonstrating
anything with 3d performance.

   We need a better benchmark! I'm going to go look around a bit for
something more fun...

Cheers,
Mark