On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 03:20:43PM -0400, Willie Wong wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 08:19:00PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is it possible to compile the complete system with the
> > icc from the Intel C++ Compiler?
>
> afaik, no. Too many things rely on gcc-specific extensions.
> BUT! if you add "icc" to your USEflags, portage will compile things
> with icc whenever the compile is known not to break. (=

scratch that. You also need to set the $CC yourself plus a lot of
hocuspocus. Check

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ICC_and_Portage&e=912

> > Are there any (performance) gains to be expected on a
> > system using a Celeron M340 CPU?
> >

> Most likely. I remember seeing benchmarks showing that gcc is
> dead-slow compared to icc. But then again, other benchmarks can show
> comparable performance. My only advice is to try it out if you really
> want to know.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alexander Skwar
> > --
> > BOFH Excuse #69:
> >
> > knot in cables caused data stream to become twisted and kinked
> > --

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong
and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a
thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually
turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

- One of the laws of computers and programming revealed.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 4 days,  2:55