On 01/23/2011 12:47 PM, pk wrote:
> On 2011-01-23 14:23, dhk wrote:
>
>> The Sound Blaster didn't work either.  Should I try enabling the
>> deprecated OSS in the kernel?
>
> You can always try it but I highly doubt it would improve the situation...
>
> What sound related USE flags have you enabled (i.e. alsa, oss[for
> compatibility] etc.)?
>
> Are you using any sound daemons (like Esound or Pulseaudio)? Shut them
> down. Are you sure you've plugged the speaker/headphone cable(s) into
> the right jack? Whenever I install a new computer I always put some
> music on and try the different audio jacks to find the right one. How do
> you play sound to verify that you have (or not, in your case) sound? For
> the last part I would advise to keep it as simple as possible i.e. try
> ogg123 or mpg123 or mplayer (as an example).
>
> Best regards
>
> Peter K

My make.conf Use is: USE="-arts -doc -evo -firefox -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4
-java X alsa cairo cdr device-mapper extras gdu gnome gtk jpeg png
policykit sqlite svg tiff udev xml xulrunner xvmc"

Everything is plugged in correctly and checked many times.  As far as I
know there aren't any sound daemons running, this is a new install, only
a couple of weeks old.  Everything looks like it should be working, the
only thing is I don't hear anything.  Since I hear other things I'm sure
I'm not deaf and can rule that out.  This is a basic set up with lvm2,
gnome, firefox, thunderbird, and openoffice.  That's about it, nothing
fancy.