Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 17:09 on Thursday 27 January 2011, Nikos
Chantziaras did opine thusly:

Given the amount of time unpack/configure/install of most packages needs
(very short), my observation is that it would not be worth it.
KDE.

unpack/configure/install takes up a significant amount of time for KDE

Putting reply in just one post this time. This is a discussion now and not a technical problem.

The package that failed had nothing to do with it building more than one package at a time. For some reason, it didn't have one of the patches downloaded. I guess it was a failure between here and where the mirror is. When I restarted the emerge, it found it and no problems from there. It would have done the same thing if I wasn't using -j is the point here.

Tthis was a KDE upgrade, it saved a LOT of time. Most of the time only a couple cores are really working especially when they are smaller packages. When using the -j option, all 4 cores were running and was pretty busy all the time. At one time, it was doing >20 packages at once. I also noticed the hard drive light was pretty steady too.

All in all, using the -j option seems to have saved a lot of time here. This is a fairly new install so I can recall how long it took to install KDE the last time. This was much faster.

Just reporting a real world experience here. I wish I had got a 6 core CPU now for sure. Maybe later.

Dale

:-)  :-)