Hi Phill,

 .. or you could try:
======================
# mkdir -p /etc/portage/profile
# echo "net-www/mozilla" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

Of course the 'mkdir' part is only needed if you don't already have a
/etc/portage/profile directory.  Not sure if you can put
package.provided directly under /etc/portage.  Someone who knows better
the intricacies of the latest portage versions could advise on this.
--
Regards,
Mick