I run --depclean every once and a while to see if anything is not needed anymore. Sort of do a little house cleaning. When I run it, it gives me this message:

Calculating dependencies... done!
 * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
 * the following required packages not being installed:
 *
 *   media-sound/phonon[-aqua] pulled in by:
 *     x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.7.1-r1
 *
 * Have you forgotten to run `emerge --update --newuse --deep @world` prior
* to depclean? It may be necessary to manually uninstall packages that no longer
 * exist in the portage tree since it may not be possible to satisfy their
* dependencies. Also, be aware of the --with-bdeps option that is documented
 * in `man emerge`.
root@fireball / #

I ran this just before the above:

root@fireball / # emerge -uvDNa world --with-bdeps y

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No] y
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
root@fireball / #

So, nothing needs to be updated but yet --depclean complains about the package not being installed. Here is the kicker:

root@fireball / # emerge -pv media-sound/phonon x11-libs/qt-webkit

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-sound/phonon-4.4.4 USE="vlc -debug -gstreamer -pulseaudio -xine" 0 kB [ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.7.1-r1 USE="dbus exceptions jit kde (-aqua) -debug -pch" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
root@fireball / #

Yep, it's installed. Just for good measure, I rebuilt them with -1 and it installed them just fine. Same message as before tho. Still complains that a package is not installed.

Is this a bug or am I missing something, again.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)