On 02/09/2011 03:35 AM, James wrote:
Gregory Shearman<zekeyg<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

I run an ATI HD5660 graphics card and use the open source Radeon driver
found in the kernel. When I select this driver, there's a second option
about allowing kernel modesetting by default. I've found that 3D
graphics and even the Xserver doesn't run on the 2.6.36 kernel unless
Kernel Modesetting is selected. This driver requires microcode to be
installed (emerge radeon-ucode). Now, I don't run an initramfs and
because kernel modesetting requires that the kernel handle the
framebuffer it loads the graphics driver before it has accessed any of
the system's hard drives. This means that for the kernel to find the
microcode it must be included when the kernel is compiled.

OK, I went and did a bunch of reading..... I do not use initramfs.
I emerge'd radeon-ucode

I can't help you further as I'm not sure what graphics card you run, nor
whether or not you're using the proprietary driver nor have you provided
the context for the error message provided in the subject.

card:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
I use ati-drivers-10.11

All the instructions you received assume that you were using xf86-video-ati, *not* ati-drivers (also known as "AMD Catalyst for Linux", AMD's proprietary binary driver for Radeon cards).

Do *not* install any firmware files and make sure you disable the radeon driver completely in the kernel. Not only KMS, but no driver *at all*.