Apparently, though unproven, at 20:56 on Friday 11 February 2011, James did
opine thusly:

> Hello,
>
> I have nptl and nptlonly set in my make.conf file.
> I thought that was the best setting for threading.
>

> Now, I want to install the Chromium web browser.
> It is asking me to the set the +threads flag for ffmpeg,
> before www-client/chromium can be installed. OK
> no problem on a per package basis.
>
> But, this has made me think. Is setting nptl and
> nptl globally (in make.conf) the best idea?
>
> Should the threads flag also be set globally, or just
> on a per package basis? Maybe nptl and threads
> and not set nptlonly?
>
> I thought nptl and nptl was the end of the
> requirements, but running this command:
>
> euse -i threads
> Here is a curious response; ffmpeg does not get
> listed (as it is not built with the threads flag)?
>
> euse -I threads
>
> I see lots of packages where the flag "threads"
> is being used including ffmpeg.
>

> Some discussion and guidance as to how best
> to set the flags [nptl, nptlonly and threads]
> (any others related to threading) would be
> appreciated.

USE=nptl means build the  New Posix Thread Library.
USE=nptlonly means only built NPTL, not the old Linux Threads

These should be global in scope

USE=threads is best per package as some packages support it but don't play
nice with it. You could set it globally and disable it per-package, or do it
the other way round if you please.

AFAIR nptlonly has done nothing for ages. When was LinuxThreads removed from
glibc? Sometime around 2.6 or 2.7?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com