I've just spent an annoying two days trying to un-break my HP multifunction
printer/fax/scanner, and I hope I can spare some of you the same trouble.

My symptoms were that I couldn't send a fax using hp-sendfax, which has been
working very well for years -- until now.

After much floundering I finally tried deleting my existing cups printers
and allowing hp-setup to create new ones.  All better now :)

There may be more than one way to delete cups printers, I dunno, but I used
the cups http interface by typing 'http://localhost:631' in my firefox URL bar
(cupsd must be running for this to work).