On 02/13/2011 10:24 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com>  wrote:
This morning I did an xorg-server upgrade which included IIRC 33 files
total on my system. After the upgrade I am unable to run the vmplayer
app. The GUI never comes up. If I run it in a terminal it seems to die
quietly after about 5 seconds. There are no additional messages in
dmesg.

OK - there is nothing of interest in the setup log file above, but in
the same directory there is a player-log which is catching the crash.
I cannot tell what's kicking it off so I'm considering uninstalling
all the vmware stuff, looking for stale links, then reinstalling
vmware.

Are you using the ebuilds for vmware? (Latest versions are in the "vmware" overlay.) I run latest X.Org (1.9.4) and both workstation as well as player have no problems here.