Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 02/15/2011 01:45 AM, Dale wrote:
I was curious. I have this new rig and was wondering if prelinking would
help any. It's a 4 core AMD 3.2Ghz CPU with 4Gbs, soon to be 8Gbs, of
ram and a SATA 3 hard drive. On a modern system, would prelink make
anything that much faster? Is it worth installing in this system?

Thoughts? Opinions? Personal experience?

It helps when loading the desktop for the first time. But the improvement might only be one second or so total if your hard disk is fast, so it's probably not worth it. I, however, find it extremely useful on some older machines I run as servers (older P4 CPUs ranging from 2 to 3GHz with 1GB RAM and old, slow IDE disks); they're running Debian and I think Debian doesn't even build their packages with --as-needed, so prelink seems to make quite a difference there.

That's sort of what I was thinking. It may help on older machines with slower hard drives but not much on newer rigs with fast hard drives. I have a older rig that is a AMD 2500+, 2Gbs of ram and IDE drives. It might help some on it but still may not be worth it. The drives on there are pretty fast for its hardware.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)