On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 12:09:27PM +0000, Mick wrote
> Indeed, the Gentoo Alsa Guide still says pretty much the same thing:
>
> "Please note that for ease of use, all examples show ALSA built as
> modules. It is advisable to follow the same as it then allows the
> use of alsaconf which is a boon when you want to configure your card."
>
> I've added some options for my alsa modules in
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, e.g.:
>
>   options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

  This is exasperating.  After re-building alsa sound support as kernel
modules, rather than built into the kernel, I see some improvement.
When I blow into the internal mic I hear it from the laptop speakers.
With mic-boost turned up, I can hear myself echoing when I talk into the
internal mic or into an external mic.  Turn up the boost high enough,
and the external mic generates a mean high-ptched feedback squeal,
unless I also plug in headphones.

  So the hardware is working now, *BUT I STILL CAN'T RECORD THE BLEEPING
THING*.  When I try "ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/dsp audio.wav" it thinks it's
recording, but the output file is only hiss.   Ditto for the command
"ffmpeg -f alsa -i plughw:0,0 audio.wav".

  I notice that I have a file named /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf but no
alsa-base.conf file.  Should I rename it?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>