on 2011-02-26 at 14:44 walt wrote:

>xfce4-session also recognizes the policykit and consolekit USE flag, and
>those two things seem to be the way of the future (until tomorrow, anyway)
>for desktop managers like kde and gnome.
>
>xfce has always been closely related to gnome, and it still uses the gnome
>USE flag, I see.  I'd suggest setting the three USE flags I've mentioned
>and see what happens.

OK, i undid everything i had been trying and decided to try this path. i
recompiled xfce4-session with policykit, consolekit and gnome.

i don't have a graphical login manager, i start X with startx from the
console, and my .xinitrc is simply:

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

if i start X as root things work in a more or less satisfactory way: pen
drives appear on the side bar on thunar and i can mount and eject them
(not umount).

but if i start X as a normal user, i get a "not authorized" message from
thunar and i can't mount the devices.

now, i belong to just about every group out there:

root disk lp wheel audio cdrom video cdrw usb users lpadmin portage
plugdev lj vboxusers scanner

any ideas why i don't have permissions to mount the usb drives?
(also, after doing these changes i can't shutdown or reboot form xfce)

anyway, it seems i'm getting closer... a big thank you to all that have
been following this thread, i hope i'll be able to resolve this last
issue...

best,

lj