i'm posting this to the list in case it's of some use to somebody.

trying to get automounting of usb drives working on xfce, as discussed on
a recent thread, i recompiled xfce4-session with policykit (polkit) and
consolekit. eventually this got me automounting working, but in the
process i lost the ability to shutdown or reboot the system from the exit
dialog in xfce. it seemed obvious that it was a permissions issue
involving polkit. searching the web i found instructions [*] that worked
for me: create the file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/power.pkla
(the name isn't relevant as long as it's under that directory and has the
pkla extension) with this code:

[Local restart]
Identity=unix-group:wheel
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local shutdown]
Identity=unix-group:wheel
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local restart - multiple]
Identity=unix-group:wheel
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local shutdown - multiple]
Identity=unix-group:wheel
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

you can change the Identity=unix-group:wheel line with a different group
or a unix-user. since i'm the only user here, this isn't relevant for me.

i hope this might be of some interest.

[*] here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce