On Sunday 27 February 2011 14:33:55 you wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have unmerged x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and x11-drivers/xf86-input-
> > keyboard and also removed mouse and keyboard from my /etc/make.conf,
> > which now only contains:
> >
> > INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics evdev"
> >

> > However, portage seems to want to pull in x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> > and
>
> > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard:
> Hi Mick,
>    I took another look here. It seems that for Virtualbox that
> xf86-input-virtualbox is pulling in xf86-input-mouse. Not sure if
> that's a bug in the ebuild or whether it's really required. I haven't
> spotted any settable flags that seem to effect it. (Haven't looked
> very hard.)

Thanks Mark, I do not have virtualbox on this laptop, so the drivers are not
being pulled in because of it.

>    Anyway, I'm using evdev for X, like you, and like you I'm getting
> the old mouse driver for apparently other reasons. I'm not getting
> keyboard but you should be able to use the commands below to determine
> why that's happening on your system.

I checked my world file and the only x11-drivers package I have in there is
the radeon-ucode firmware package.

Anyway, I just remerged x11-base/xorg-drivers manually (rather than as part of
updating world) and guess what? !  It does not try to pull in these two
drivers any more:

# emerge -1aDv xorg-drivers

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics -
acecad -aiptek -elographics -fpit -joystick -keyboard* -mouse* -penmount -
tslib -virtualbox -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon -apm -ark -ast -
chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx (-geode) -glint -i128 (-i740) (-
impact) -intel -mach64 -mga -neomagic (-newport) -nouveau -nv -nvidia -r128 -
rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-
suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident
-tseng -v4l -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo) (-xgi%)" 0 kB

I guess that 'emerge -uaDv world' takes the current state of x11-base/xorg-
drivers (which in the past had been merged with INPUT_DEVICES containing both
keyboard and mouse) as a higher priority than the current state of my
INPUT_DEVICES in /etc/make.conf?

Either way, the solution must be therefore to remerge x11-base/xorg-drivers
every time the content of INPUT_DEVICES is changed.

Thank you all for your help.  :)
--
Regards,
Mick