In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> --nextPart2016980.EoLg6xAmlW
>
> On Sunday 06 March 2011 09:28:39 Dale wrote:
>> Mick wrote:
>> >=20
>> > Because alsaconf needs to probe one module at a time and set its
>> > parameters.
>>=20
>> Just to confuse things more, I have the same driver for my sound and I
>> build everything into my kernel and always have.  The sound worked as
>> soon as I unmuted it.
>>=20
>> root@fireball / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep REALTEK
>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=3Dy
>> root@fireball / #
>>=20
>> Weird huh?
>
> Like you, I used to build the lot into the kernel for years and it worked=20
> fine.  Suddenly it stopped.  With no other discernible changes at the time =
> to=20
> blame for this I raised a bug.  The devs recommended that I should build al=
> sa=20
> as modules and that fixed the problem.  I haven't yet tried to go back to=20
> building it all in the kernel to see if it would still work.
>=2D-=20
> Regards,
> Mick

Same thing happened here, I used to build support for my sound card into
the kernel but it stopped working a few months ago. Rebuilding the
kernel without the built-in sound drivers and using the modules instead
works now. ISTR that years ago it was the opposite, which is why I got
in the habit of building kernels with alsa drivers built-in.

The odd thing is I didn't see any news about it, nor was the internet
packed with people suddenly having alsa problems, so I never knew what
exactly happened.

--
caveat utilitor