For a long time I've just put up with the inconvenience or of users
not being able to write to mounted filesystems on windows hosts.

But sometimes is a real pain.

I've never known for certain if linux users (non-root) can actually
write to windows shares.

I use what is probably an oldish setup in fstab like this:

//harvey/ImagesMusic  /mnt/ImagesMusic cifs noauto,username=harry,credentials=/\
etc/samba/CifsCredentials

Where the UNC above is on windows XP, and mounted as shows above.

The credential in /etc/samba/CifsCredentials look like:

user=reader
user=harry
user=root
password=xxxxxxxx

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
What can I do so that when that share is mounted a user on the linux
machine can write to it painlessly?

Of course I can use sudo... but not always... here is an example of
where it might be a pain.

I get mail with pictures I want to save to the data base in the above
ftab entry.  I'd like to just strip it direct from the mail to that
share but the mail is in a users account not root.

Since my mail client is emacs-gnus... I can press a key combo that
writes the file to whatever address, and could possible do this and
even assume a root priviledges since emacs-gnus is seriously capable
of all kinds of trick stuff.

But it would just be easier to press the two key command to strip and
save and give an address like /mnt/Imagesmusic/somedir
And have that write just work without further guff.  But since users
don't get to write there... it fails.

So back to what kind of cifs syntax will mount this share allowing
users to write there?