On Wednesday 16 March 2011 09:53:37 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 15.03.2011 07:50, schrieb Matthew Marlowe:
> >> My problem is that LVM2 is not supported in parted which is the
> >> recommended tool to deal with this.
> >>
> >> I suspect I only need to map the individual PE to a particular start
> >> sector on each drive, not btrfs, but then there is stripe/block sizes
> >> consider as well ... WD also are recommending 1mb sector boundaries
> >> for
> >> best performance - I can see a reinstall coming up :)
> >
> > I have on my workstation:
> >     2 WD 2TB Black Drives
> >     5 WD 2TB RE4 Drives
> >
> > Some notes:
> > - The black drives have horrible reliability, poor sector remapping, and
> > have certain standard drive features to make them unusable in raid.  I
> > would not buy them again. I'm not sure how similar the green drives
> > are.
>
> Green drives also seem to be affected:
> http://doug.warner.fm/d/blog/2009/11/Western-Digital-15TB-Green-Drives-Not-y
> our-Linux-Software-RAID

I have 6 Green drives (WDC WD15EARS) in a RAID5 and I have not seen any
issues.
Only issue I saw was 1 drive with "reallocated" sectors as also mentioned by
one of the commenters on that page.
Replaced that drive and no further problems so far.

I did, however, spent time to align the sectors correctly for the Raid-
partitions, striping, LVM blocksize and the mkfs-statements.
Without those, performance was really bad.

I would prefer to see proper support for 4K-sector-size drives.

--
Joost