Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > > So if you were installing a system, just to run wine, would it
> > > be multilib or hybrid (64 and 32 bit) ?

> There's no such thing as a hybrid system. Multilib is what you need to
> run 32 bit software.

Right; that's just the name used to describe the other than multilib
liveDVD. Ah, (like turning on) I see that multilib is the 64+32 bit
version. I now do not understand why 'hybrid" was used at all...
oh well.

> > 1) Wine is 32-bit
> > 2) Walter had a 64-bit only system
> > 3) Walter had 2 choices:
> > a) Wipe the system and start over making it a multi-lib system
> > b) Create a 32-bit chroot

OK, got it.
When I look in ~pub/gentoo/releases/amd64/11.0/

I see these:
livedvd-amd64-multilib-11.0.iso

livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso

But the author's review used the term
"hybrid" and therefor confused me....

it would seem that the 32ul-11.0.iso
version would be the one to run 32
bit software on?

but when you look at profile choices
on a 64bit AMD system, you see
"no-multilib" implying that everything
is multilib, unless specified....

Sorry for being so dense on this.
the name "hybrid" just confused me
to no end, when actually it was the 64-bit-only
version of the software;profile;etc....

thanks,
James