Hi there,

I try to start an LDAP-service for managing by eMail-Addresses
centralised on my server. Unfortunately I constantly fail to start
slapd. I tried a lot of documentations I've found on the web, including
Gentoo's non-official doc at

    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml

as well as

    http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html

but to no avail.

The daemon slapd only starts as root and connecting to it via

    ldapadd -f stooges.ldif -xv -D "cn=StoogeAdmin,o=stooges" \
    -h 127.0.0.1 -w secret1

always fails with

    ldap_initialize( ldap://127.0.0.1 )
    ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

I suspect something is wrong with my backend database.

Has anybody installed and started OpenLDAP successfully on Gentoo?
I am interested in config files and which components/use flags are
involved.

I have installed cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-r1, openldap-2.4.24

Bye
Johannes
--

     //    Johannes R. Geiss       Zaurus, Pegasos, Amiga and C64 user