On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:26:10 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > Manual means manually added to the list by python-updater, rather than
> > using any sort of detection.
> >

> OK, I won't bother with the many definitions of the word manual or how
> that effects the conversation from my end 'cause that don't matter
> much to Linux man-page writers. ;-)

I agree that describing an automated default as manual is somewhat less
than intuitive...

> However I'm still failing to see
> the interest in this as it only removes 1 or 4 packages (boost) that
> I've rebuilt multiple time. 75% of the failures still fail using
> -dmanual.
>
> c2stable ~ # python-updater -p -dmanual
>  * Starting Python Updater...
>  * Main active version of Python:  2.7
>  * Active version of Python 2:     2.7
>  * Active version of Python 3:     3.1
>  *   Adding to list: app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs:0
>  *   Adding to list: app-emulation/virtualbox:0
>  *   Adding to list: app-office/openoffice-bin:0
>  *   Adding to list: app-office/openoffice-bin:0

I've also been hit by the first, as I think I mentioned. As for the other
two, re-emerging a binary package won't help at all, because it's a binary
package, so you unpack it rather than rebuild it. That's more a problem
with using binary packages on a source distro than a fault of
python-updater itself.

--
Neil Bothwick

Set phasers to extreme itching!