On Friday 01 April 2011 13:18:39 Stéphane Guedon wrote:

> I have APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D INFO -D LANGUAGE -D PHP5"
>
> you should try at least language and php5 !

That missing 5 is important - thanks.

Then, however, I got this:

 * apache2 has detected an error in your setup:
apache2: Syntax error on line 149 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Syntax error on
line 4 of /etc/apache2/modules.d/70_mod_php5.conf: Cannot load
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server:
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file
or directory

That's after emerge -Cv apache and removing by hand all files and directories
left behind by emerge. Same with php. Then I reinstalled both apache and php
but
without using the packages I had and all came right - thanks Stéphane.

This is connected with the other thread I've written to today, about using my
workstation as an emerge server. A complication I didn't mention there is that
both make.conf and package.use have to be identical in the chroot and the
target
system nfs-mounted under it. I must have got them out of step at some stage.

Incidentally, apache is wrong to complain of syntax errors - they're errors of
configuration, not syntax.

--
Rgds
Peter