In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:

> On Thursday 07 April 2011 05:44:17 Pandu Poluan wrote:
>> Someone really should mention 'screen' in the handbook; that venerable
>> tool just saved my day :)
>> I was in the midst of 'emerge --update --newuse world' over SSH when
>> my office had a 'temporary power failure'. Luckily, I had started a
>> 'screen' session. When the power is restored 5 minutes later, I just
>> re-attach the screen session, and all's well :)
>> Rgds,
>
> Have a look here, under Section 3 - Leaving your Terminal:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-tipsntricks.xml
> Regards,
> Mick

I run a SheevaPlug with Gentoo installed. I use 'Screen' to talk to the
SheevaPlug via its serial USB connection:

# screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

This gets me to a login screen on the SheevaPlug. The serial USB
connection is only used for installation and if the network connection
to the SheevaPlug is unavailable for any reason.

Screen should get a medal.

--
Regards,
Gregory.